Child access, sometimes called visitation, has and still proves a stumbling block for many separated or divorced parents. Cooperation between both parents even after an ugly divorce is critical to the happiness of the kids. This cooperation makes it possible for each parent to spend enough time with the kid, a factor that is also vital to the proper growth and maturity of the children.

Things Don’t Always Go As Planned

But what happens when the divorce is so bitter that one of the parents can’t stand being in the same room with the other one? Here, the interests of the kids are demoted to second place, and one of the parents suffers. In such a situation, access to the children becomes difficult for the non-custodial parent, leading to discontent. This is the time you need a solicitor for child access.

Back to Court

If reasonable access is impossible even after a court order, the next step is to get a fixed schedule to see your kids. This can only be determined by the court, with the interests of the kids in mind all the time. Changing the terms of visitation as determined by the court is regarded as a breach of contract on the part of the custodial parent.

It Becomes Costly for You

It is quite unfortunate if you are denied access because you have to spend money on repeated trips to and from the court, an expense you hadn’t budgeted for. Therefore, the judge considers the pain that you have gone through before making the final decision.

The judge will most likely issue a stern warning to the custodial parent and revise the divorce agreement to set things right. It is only when denial of access becomes severe that the judge might have to resort to other measures such as imposing fines.

Use of an Access Facilitator

One of the directions the court might take would be to appoint someone to act as an access facilitator. However, this can be expensive unless both of you get someone who will do this free of charge.

Final Words

You need to make sure your spouse follows the access rules stipulated in the divorce agreement. You can’t do this alone; you need the help of a solicitor who understands what is happening and what to do to help. Your children need your presence to grow properly; don’t watch while your rights as a parent are violated.

Child Access Rights: What You Need to Know

You May Also Like